It’s been a while…
I’ve been sort of busy lately, so haven’t had time to do much with the boat. We have had here out a few times, just motoring around.
The battery didn’t survive the winter, so picked up a new Walleye 1. Seems to be doing the job well so far.
When I tried to start the engine for the first time it was a bit of a battle. It didn’t help that it was still near freezing in the nights, so the engine was pretty cold. It cranked slow and didn’t seem to be catching. I didn’t know if it wasn’t getting fuel, was too cold, or what. I had read about a cold start button and the engine and was about to try it when I remembered how the mechanic got it going the first time. I removed the silencer type things , and cranked the engine over while spraying WD-40 into the air intakes. It immediately began cranking faster and soon caught and started running. Purring like a kitten. Well, as much as a Volvo MD11C can purr that is.
All last season the alternator didn’t work. It wasn’t a big deal since I could put the battery on charge, but it was something I didn’t want to let slip too long. I had quite a bit of “fun” getting it out. But all’s well that ends well. And scraped, raw and bloody… I certainly don’t have a mechanic’s lithe hand. Turns out it was just the regulator which I could have swapped in situ. Anyways, got it back in and measure 14 volts while running. Good enough for me.
Another bit of work left over from last season was to connect the motor back up to the fuel tank. When I bought the boat there was half a tank of at least 5 year old diesel. Not wanting to run that varbish like (and smelling) substance through the engine, I had it temporarily running to a jerry can. I sucked up all the old diesel using a drill pump attached to the outlet of the fuel filter then filled it with new. After pumping a bit more I could see the much lighter diesel gong through the filter so hooked it back up to the engine. Turned the key and… it started! It even kept running. I figured I must have put air into the system, but I guess I lucked out.
My next major project will be to re-caulk the teak on the cabin roof.